Saturday, March 27, 2010

Port 3: Ulladulla, NSW

"Were not in Sydney anymore."... That was my first thought when I walked up onto the deck of the ship and took a look at where we docked at 7:30 in the morning. Ulladulla is a beautiful small quiet fishing town of approximately 9,000 people, with amazing beaches and quite hilly. But Ulladulla has the most friendly lovely people. We found it to be quite the perfect break, especially after the big city.

So one of the things that I do is give tours of the ship to the public. yes... joanna, the tour guide. who knew? but its awesome hearing stories and being front and center seeing people respond. One of my favourite stories was meeting this couple that was just on holiday and they came to visit the ship, not knowing anything about it. So they went on the tour, heard about the needs in PNG, and the guy headed to his car and said, "I'll be back, I got some sunnies in the car."... I thought he was going to come back with a pair... but he came back with excitement and dropped 8 pairs of sunglasses that he found in the cracks of his car... just collecting dust. "These will be better use in PNG." he said...

People are moved. People want to do something. People see that what they have in their possession can change a life and restore eyesight in PNG. With this whole ship tour, we are in some sense simply informing people and giving them a practical way for them to help. People come alive when they give of themselves....

So that was a bit of this town. I loved it and I loved the weather. But let me just say that Ulladullas' got some mad hills that kill me on the bike... so thanks a lot for the work-out Ulla-ulla-ulladulla... 'til next time...

No comments: